Work from home or WFH, is the new norm since the pandemic hit which means even more time is spent behind a desk. Those who spend hours in this position might start to experience aches and pains and see a change in their posture. The result of sitting for long hours in the days causes the muscles in your body to tighten so taking the time to stretch a few times during the day can be extremely beneficial. Just a few minutes a couple times throughout the day can prevent aches, improve circulation, loosen up your muscles and improves mobility.
While it is good to get out of your chair, stretch your legs and move your body a bit, we have put together 5 simple stretches you can do while sitting down so you can easily make time in your day to set yourself up for success for those long desk days.
1. Seated figure four:
Start by placing your right ankle on top of your left leg (right above the knee). Place your right hand on your right knee and your left hand on your left ankle and begin to apply pressure to the right knee. pressing it down towards the ground. Start to lean forward to go deeper into the stretch. Repeat on left leg.
2. Wrist and hand stretches:
1. Clasp your hands together and start moving your hands in a figure 8 pattern. Repeat 10x in each direction
2. Extend your right arm in front of you with your palm facing outward and fingers pointing towards the floor. Use your left hand to gently pull the palm towards your body. Hold for 20-30 seconds and repeat with the other hand.
3. Extend fingers open as far as possible, hold for 5 seconds, then make a fist as tight as possible and hold for 5 seconds. Repeat 5-10x
3. Seated Twist:
Sitting upright, place your right hand on your left knee and your left hand on the back of your chair. Look over your left shoulder and Begin to apply pressure to your hands to twist your upper body. Hold for 10-15 seconds and repeat on left side.
4. Seated Side stretches/backbend:
Interlace your hands and flip your palms up toward the ceiling. Begin to reach your arms up and over to the right, to the left and straight up and back for a backbend. Hold for 10-15 seconds each side
5. Shoulder stretches:
- Bend your right arm and place it across your chest. Using your left hand begin to pull your right elbow to the left. Hold for 10-15 seconds each side.
- Lift your right arm, bend it over your head so your palm is facing your upper back. Grab ahold of your right elbow with your left hand and begin to apply pressure, pulling your arm up and over to the left. Hold for 10-15 seconds each side.